Re: Tangential topic -- Was: Re: Sexist Behaviour in Debian Women

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:53 pm, Erinn Clark wrote:
> * Pia Smith <pia@linux.org.au> [2004:12:16 09:13 +1100]:
> > 3) We need to be welcoming of men, of all people.
>
> I don't disagree with you, which I want to make clear, but this brings a
> thought to mind:
>
> How accepting should we be, exactly? For example, one of my concerns is
> that the list and IRC channel will be "overrun" (for lack of a better
> word) by well-meaning men. When the men are very helpful, nice, and support
> our goals, it's not like we can say "Hey, the statistics are all out of
> whack here, it's still a male majority", without being rude and losing
> valuable members of the community. But I'm not sure how it looks to new
> people or what they're expecting and if this will scare them off.
>
> Is this just something we deal with? Watch out for until it gets out of
> hand? Are there any precautions we can take, or is it not a concern at all?

I've been thinking a lot about this, especially with four daughters and a son.
i want to raise PEOPLE aware offspring - ie that to address inequities,
sometimes we have to redress imbalance by acting positively i favour of one
thing or another, such as gender, race etc.

but i CANNOT see that denegration or discrimination against another gender is
the right way to do that. if we find the discrimination against women rightly
intoerable in a modern society, how can we not equally find discrimination
ALL ROUND to be wrong?

I don't want to be part of a womans group that believes that to assist and
promote women, we must exclude or belittle anyone. i do believe in excluding
negative and destructive people regarldless of gender.

r:)
--
Romana Branden
Sticks & stones may break my bones,