Re: Sexist Behaviour in Debian Women

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:46:36PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2004 10:42 pm, Helen Faulkner wrote:

> > The major aim of the Debian Women channel is to increase the participation
> > of women in Debian.  I expect that all of you know about that, agree with
> > it, etc.

> > That being stated, I believe that it is conducive to that aim, and to what I
> > would call our basic feminist philosophy, to have as an aim for the group
> > that we will not tolerate sexist behaviour of any form.  (We're also not
> > into racists, ageist, or any other nasty-ist behaviour you might think of).
> >   I am certain that most of you would agree with that.

> > Given that, I am extremely disappointed to see that there was some very
> > sexist behaviour occuring on the #debian-women channel over the last few
> > hours.  It was primarily directed by women at men.  I see that
> > misunderstanding and heated comments occured on *both* sides of the
> > discussion, but the main thing I observe is that it was not accepted for a
> > man on the channel to make the observation that there exist contexts in
> > which men are disadvantaged as compared to women.  This comment was no more
> > off-topic than many comments made on the channel, and infact I believe it
> > was a relevant one and could have formed the basis of an interesting
> > discussion, was it not for the sexist behaviour that it provoked.

> It wasn't the topic, and it wasn't sexism- it was reacting to someone who was
> deliberately misconstruing what people were saying, and going out of his way
> to take offense. Pretty much any topic goes on the channel, it's being
> obnoxious that gets people riled up.

 <carla> and I would like to remind the channel this is Debian WOMEN, and if
 you can't deal with it, well so sorry

 [...]

 <Manoj> JuttaW: while I actually did not bring this up, I am amused to see
 that it is not ok to talk about problems men may face; and even a mention
 brings about strong emations and an effort to shut down such talk.

 [...]

 <carla> Manoj: so go advocate for the issues you care about
 <carla> this is Debian-women
 <Manoj> carla: and?
 <carla> not Debian-Men's-Rape-Crisis-clinic

 [...]

 <carla> patti_: it's the same old baloney we always get- as soon as women
 start advocating for themselves and taking meaningful action, some men get
 all whiny and go 'but what about us?'

In a group nominally established in recognition of the fact that women are
under-represented in Debian and with the goal of increasing the roles of
women in Debian, I don't think it's the attitudes of long-time active Debian
contributors that were causing problems in this case. :P

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer