Re: No goals, selective memory, be nice, red nose day

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 00:12, MJ Ray wrote:

> I don't think it would be right or a solution, but anyway: what
> men-only groups are provided by linuxchix? Please reply off-list. I am
> not subscribed to debian-women.

None. Linuxchix has limited resources funded out of my own pocket (and
my husband's). Neither my husband nor I /personally/ perceive a need for
LinuxChaps, therefore we do not /personally/ fund it.

However, Val Hanson and I wrote a document which was presented recently
at a conference (it's 5am and I forget which one), stating precisely how
to create a Linuxchix-like community. This document is available for
those wishing to create LinuxChaps, LinuxCats, LinuxDogs, LinuxPenguins,
or LinuxSmallfurrycreaturesfromalphacentauri.

I haven't yet received Val's final form of the presentation, so it's not
posted to the LC site yet - it will be once I have both the document and
her permission.

If you need advice on how to create a men-only group which is identical
(save for gender) to LinuxChix, you or anyone else have only to ask.
Ditto for a children's-only, $minority-only, $majority-only,
$special-interest-only....

But expecting me to fund, sysadmin and provide resources and time to a
special-interest group I have no interest in just because you personally
dislike my narrow-purpose group is .. um .. weird to me. Can you explain
it?

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn@anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/