Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:25:17AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 03:49:26PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:23:43PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > What you will encounter in Debian, and free software development in
> > > general, is nothing like you will encounter in the mundane
> > > world. There will be an endless stream of accusations and
> > > recriminations from other Debian developers, from upstream developers,
> > > and from users, who will turn out to be the single most stupid and
> > > ungrateful group of people you will ever encounter.
> >
> > Your experience does not match the experience of the rest of us.
>
> Go through a few threads on d-devel about the "problems" with ftpmasters,
> porters, and other various sub-groups.  You will find what Andrew is talking
> about in huge quantities.

On the other hand, go through debian-boot and look for any sort of trolling,
name-calling, accusations, or generally ungrateful people. You won't find it.
In fact, you'll find quite the opposite. Lots of positive feedback from users
and good discussions between all concerned. I wouldn't say that was Andrew
describes doesn't happen (it's pretty unfortunate that it does, especially to
many of those who it does happen to) but it's not the universal rule by any
means. d-i is a very high profile project right now too, with well over a
hundred contributers, and it gets along without these problems.

 - David Nusinow