Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:40:14PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I think it's rational enough to put in a balance what
> you give and what you get and take your decision from
> that. I mean, if all I'm getting is fightings, trolls,
> sexism, competitiveness, aggressiveness, politics and
> things like that, well, I don't really have fun with
> all those things. But if I get some support,
> friendship, cooperativeness, something to be proud
> off, then it's probably worth it.

> That's why I must seriously think about it. I'm not
> the one who will commit herself to something then
> resign without a serious reason, but I also need to be
> aware of what I'm going to find if I join, and, to be
> honest, what you're suggesting I'm gonna find, I don't
> relly like it. I already have enough of that IRL.

What you will encounter in Debian, and free software development in
general, is nothing like you will encounter in the mundane
world. There will be an endless stream of accusations and
recriminations from other Debian developers, from upstream developers,
and from users, who will turn out to be the single most stupid and
ungrateful group of people you will ever encounter.

Nobody cares when you do something right; it's expected. Everybody
cares when you do something wrong, or too late, or not at all, and
they will make sure that everybody is aware of this. They will also
complain about how you are doing it to them.

All this will only increase as you do more things, or more important
things.

They do not care about you, your habits, or your problems, and they
never will. All they care about is the result. They are intelligent
and analytical and they will notice everything, sooner or later.

This is the environment that produces really *good* software. Free
software development is something that you do because you want to *do*
it; no other reason makes sense. In this respect it is an art form,
not a science. That has to cut through everything else.

There may occasionally be people who fall outside all this. They're
just that - outside. Any interactions you have with them on such a
level will not be relevant to the project, and it doesn't matter
because there's always plenty of other people to keep it going. Some
will have the decency not to let this affect their interactions with
you in the project.

Debian is not a social club and will never be one. It can't be.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |