Re: The prevailing Debian culture

Helen Faulkner wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to join debian.  I
don't like that stuff
> either.  Come on - we can be unstable together!

Thanks :) It'll be nice :)

Thanks for your support, really :)

Andrew Suffield wrote:
> You don't have to like it, you have to put up with
> it, and deal with
> it in a rational manner *regardless* of how much you
> do or do not like
> it.

We HAVE to put up and deal with that every day in our
lifes, I mean IRL (in real life), outside of the
Internet. Don't mind, we're already used to it, it
won't kill us.

The problem is that IRL we have no chice, whether we
like it or we don't, while for a volunteer thing like
this is up to us to decide if it's worth it or not.
I've not clear my mind yet in that aspect, I'm still
evaluating pros and cons, so no conclusions yet.

I think it's rational enough to put in a balance what
you give and what you get and take your decision from
that. I mean, if all I'm getting is fightings, trolls,
sexism, competitiveness, aggressiveness, politics and
things like that, well, I don't really have fun with
all those things. But if I get some support,
friendship, cooperativeness, something to be proud
off, then it's probably worth it.

Maybe I don't have the appropiate personality to join
Debian (to be honest it's one of the things I'm
considering, it's not a complain). I'll keep thinking
on that. And maybe I'm not the only one standing in
that point.

> We don't even need a rule for this one; we
> self-select for it, because
> people who don't will inevitably resign in a
> tantrum.

That's why I must seriously think about it. I'm not
the one who will commit herself to something then
resign without a serious reason, but I also need to be
aware of what I'm going to find if I join, and, to be
honest, what you're suggesting I'm gonna find, I don't
relly like it. I already have enough of that IRL.

And, BTW, debian-women is helping me a lot to learn
about Debian and to reach a decision.

Greetings,
Miry

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad