Re: sexist language in debian instructions/documentation

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:41:08AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:40:31AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin insinuated:
> > P.S.: One example (german) of a unix-geek orientated association
> > that has it's bylaws in the women-only form can be found at
> > http://www.trash.net/verein/statuten.shtml. This change was proposed
> > by a man and decided mostly by men.
>
> hey, that's cool.  there's a german way to do the unisex thing in
> referring to gendered nouns -- die AktuarInnen, iirc.  or something
> like that.  out of curiosity, does that construction sound as clunky
> to a native german speaker as he/she appears to grate on some of the
> native english ears here?

Here in switzerland this form is most often used. In my ears it sound
clumsy. This is mainly because in german you have to use the big I/E/...
far more often than in english, because also the declination of the
nouns. I also think it's difficult to read because if you always read
the whole word the forms do not match. I prefer switching between male
and female inside the text, but this form seems to be far less accepted.

/gaudenz