Re: Web applications specific issues

Le Mardi 3 Mai 2005 17:16, Alexis Sukrieh a écrit :
> * Pierre Habouzit (pierre.habouzit@m4x.org) disait :
> > for the specific parts of the package, that is ok. but I believe
> > there is a few generic features every single webapp package should
> > feature if possible. e.g. the DGDB configurations should not be
> > package specific, but use a central tool that would allow the user
> > to re-use a previous registered SGDB (wwwconfig-common already
> > provides facilities, but does not stores the available SGDB, and
> > also the user is forced to enter the same informations again and
> > again, and it is *REALLY* frustrating)
>
> This is exactly what dbconfig-common provides:
>
>     dbconfig-common is an implementation of the "best practices for
>     database applications" draft, which provides debian packagers
>     with an easy, reliable, and consistant method for managing
>     databases used by debian packages.

indeed, but SGDB is not the only thing that is commonly used by web
apps. dbconfig-common effort is nice and really welcome. SGDB is the
most ovious example.

but up to a point, vhosts are ressources too, and the
possilibities/dialogs/... that a package shows about vhosts things
should be normalized too (It's very frustrating too to have to tell
every single webapp that *no* I'm not using apache1, apache-ssl,
apache-perl but only apache2 ...)

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O