Re: Web applications specific issues

another problem we don't have spoken about, is harmonisation.

current state of web apps is very frustrating, because their
configuration does never looks the same : if you install imp,
squirelmail, or yetanotherwebmail, there is little chance that you
would read the same questions about the configuration.

for the specific parts of the package, that is ok. but I believe there
is a few generic features every single webapp package should feature if
possible. e.g. the DGDB configurations should not be package specific,
but use a central tool that would allow the user to re-use a previous
registered SGDB (wwwconfig-common already provides facilities, but does
not stores the available SGDB, and also the user is forced to enter the
same informations again and again, and it is *REALLY* frustrating)

I really believe, this is possible for the admin to "draw" the
organization of the web apps on his box, and to let the packages cope
with it. most of apache configuration is boring, pervasive iterative
administrivia, and should not be left to the admin.

In a perfect world, I dream of some tool where the admin can see that
(let imagine the appropriate ncursed/dialog thing) :

[foo.bar.org:443]
/admin = phpmyadmin   [<more>]
/mail  = squirelmail  [<more>]

[foo.bar.org:80]
/ = drupal            [<more>]

[bar.baz.fr:80]

and the [<more>] button would lead into a dialog featuring sth like :

-------- on vhost foo.bar.org:80 --------
[db config of drupal]
host   : localhost
driver : mysql
user   : drupal
db     : drupal

     [<change server>]

[drupal specific settings]

with [<change server>] leading into a dialog that would allow to choose
between already registered SGDB, or allowing to create a new SGDB
template.

this is really feasible, this only require of the package to provide
some hooks (like create_vhost delete_vhost configure_vhost create_db
configure_db and so on)

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O