Re: Candidates question: politics and Debian

* Soren Stoutner <soren@debian.org> [2024-03-22 16:59:46 CET]:
> On Friday, March 22, 2024 3:08:53 AM MST Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> >  Unfortunately you still are hung up on your discriminatory and downright
> > disrespectful position that you brought up in 2019 already, haven't learned
> > from the discussion, and still seem to find a way that the Code of Conduct
> > wouldn't apply to you, nor the DFSG#5.
>
> I feel very strongly that these types of discussions do not belong in Debian.

 Agreed.  There shouldn't be a need to even discuss the basic human dignity and
respect for the existence of trans or inter* people.

> There are many good causes in the world and much disagreement about what they
> are.  For Debian to succeed, it needs to focus on producing a quality software
> distribution.  Discussions about tangentially related controversial topics, no
> matter how good the cause may be, doesn’t result in any benefit to those causes
> but does result in harm to Debian.

 We though need people to work on the distribution.  And if we are activly
driving people away by not standing up for basic human rights to exist and
dignity there won't be any left besides those that don't care about decency in
communication with each other.

> The animosity in the previous email is representative of this (I have only
> quoted one of the paragraphs above because I do not find the tone of the
> message appropriate for a Debian mailing list).

 You quoted the wrong mail.  I "just" stood up for basic human decency.  It is
a privilege that it doesn't affect you personally, and you don't seem to care,
but the project shouldn't ignore disrespectful points of view driven by
ideology that is attributed a genocidial character by the Lemkin Institute for
Genocide Prevention[1].

[1] https://www.lemkininstitute.com/statements-new-page/statement-on-the-genocidal-nature-of-the-gender-critical-movement%E2%80%99s-ideology-and-practice

 The Debian project has a clear standing on human rights - not just within its
requirements for Software Licences but also in practice in the way we interact,
and actually has to defend and stand up for them when challenged.  I would
suggest you to read into the Paradox of Tolerance.  If a tolerant and inclusive
community like the Debian project isn't willing to stand up against
intolerance, the tolerance will vanish.

 So long,
Rhonda