Re: Candidates question: politics and Debian

Andreas Tille wrote:
> > How would you as a DPL try to lead a community that focuses on producing a great distribution without getting divided on controversial topics?
>
> I'm not really sure in how far you consider the first statement relevant
to the question.  If your focus is on political controverses I have a
clear statement:  Make sure off-topic messages will be reduced to a
bare minimum on Debian channels (maximum is one message to invite people
to a non-Debian channel and mark this invitation [OT]).

Limiting off-topic posts is obviously agreeable, but there's more than
just that.

Another facet of the question is: do you think that Debian should
support and/or take action on "good causes" that aren't part of its
stated mission (and that some people, including some DDs, might
disagree on being "good")?

For example (by no means an exhaustive list, feel free to add):
- should Debian aim to reduce its carbon footprint and/or optimize
software for that goal?
- should Debian support and/or actively drive initiatives to increase
diversity in Debian Developers, or in the software industry in
general, or in the world at large?
- should Debian take any measures (boycott, suspend or expel
developers, refuse to consider as a host for Debconf...) against
countries that are perceived by some as "behaving bad" -- as examples
related to current events let me just mention Russia and Israel?
- (this is an issue that once hit me personally) should Debian enforce
the use of a particular language with respect to gender issues?

Gerardo