Re: Question to all candidates: Ongoing/future legal projects

Hi Richard

On 2022/03/24 22:17, Richard Laager wrote:
The disbursements that I've heard about seem to be relatively "small potatoes" things. Is there some huge wasteful spending occurring that I've missed?

Most of it is small potatoes (typically less than $1000, typically for hardware or travel or meetings). Some are really big potatoes, when DSA does big upgrades it can be 10s of thousands of dollars. The only cases of waste I know of happens when people ask for sponsorship for DebConf and then hotel space is made for them (and possibly other expenses) and then they just don't show up without any heads-up. Even those are rare, but it's the only instances of really wasting any money that I can think of.

One anti-pattern I've seen with spending money (not Debian, but elsewhere) is that a group will spend e.g. $10x worth of time debating $x expense. Sometimes that is appropriate, if you're confronting a new class of spending that will be repeated and you need to develop a policy to apply. But often, it's just a waste because people want to bikeshed.

Oh I've seen this in Debian. 2 seperate meetings about the price of cups (that could potentially save a few $10) where the collective salaries of the people in the room would be over a hundred times that for one hour. Especially in DebConf people want to save money, and it's great, but I like to encourage them to spend a bit more where it can save a lot of volunteer time, and also where it can increase quality (I consider it wasteful if we, for example, buy a t-shirt so cheap that the only thing someone would want to do with it is wash their car with). In cases like those spending a bit more is using our money more efficiently.

-Jonathan