Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Don> If we make all votes secret we should require that the voting
>     Don> system used enables voters to validate that their vote was
>     Don> correctly recorded and tabulated in the final vote count.
>
> Note that our current constitution does not require this for DPL votes.
> Do you think this is important enough to require in the constitution?
> I'm guessing yes since you bring it up, but I want to ask explicitly.

Yes. [If there wasn't discussion of replacing e-mail and devotee, I
wouldn't bother, since devotee already has this property.]

>     Don> We should also enable independent tabulation,[1] which you get
>     Don> automatically when votes are not secret. [Devotee enables this
>     Don> currently as well, but future non-devotee systems might not.]
>
> Would you be willing to propose a merge request for these two properties
> if you think it is important that we require them in the constitution?

I missed that §4.2.3 already requires this, though it probably needs to
be clarified. Let me work up a merge this.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Vimes hated and despised the privileges of rank, but they had this to
be said for them: At least they meant that you could hate and despise
them in comfort.
 -- Terry Pratchett _The Fifth Elephant_ p111