Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022, Sam Hartman wrote:
> 1) Do not make the identity of a voter casting a particular vote
> public.

If we make all votes secret we should require that the voting system
used enables voters to validate that their vote was correctly recorded
and tabulated in the final vote count.

The existing system for DPL votes has this property, but future systems
might not.

We should also enable independent tabulation,[1] which you get
automatically when votes are not secret. [Devotee enables this currently
as well, but future non-devotee systems might not.]

I'd also appreciate hearing more specific examples of where someone
wasn't able to vote their true preference because the vote was public. I
currently plan to offer (or second) an amendment to this proposal which
strikes the section making all votes private and rank that higher than
one which struck it, but I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

My personal reasoning is that I see my role as a voting project member
as more of a stewardship role where I'm trying to decide what is best
for the project, rather than what is best for me personally, and I want
to be seen as being a good steward for the project. I also think the
large number of voters masks the impact of a single individual vote.
[But maybe this is a personal safety issue? Perhaps people should be
able to optionally mask their identity when voting? Not sure.]

1: Where someone can take each individual vote and calculate the results
themselves.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

You could say to the Universe this is not /fair/. And the Universe
would say: Oh it isn't? Sorry.
 -- Terry Pratchett _Soul Music_ p357