Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

I've seen this whole thread continuing on and just tried to ignore it but can't in good conscious not add my thoughts on this matter...

TL;DR;

This comes to a GR vote I'll oppose it... Full stop...

Why you may ask? Because I think this is starting to border on ridiculous. I can not for the life of me think of even one person who would hear "postmaster", "hostmaster", "webmaster" or "FTP master" and instantly think "OH MY GOD THAT'S TALKING ABOUT SLAVERY!"

Yes, I agree there are a great many systemic issues that this world needs to be addressed, but this is simply not one of them and I see it solely as an attempt to make an issue out of something that isn't. The cancel culture mentality is getting out of control. Let's not become a laughing stock like Land O Lakes butter, who because of cancel culture and native American sensitivity changed their logo and became an instant punch line by removing the Indian from the logo but keeping the land. Cause that's never happened before. This list goes on... Uncle Ben, Aunt Jemima.

Unless someone can show some shred of evidence that having the word "master" in any of these well-known, widely used service names has offended someone who thinks it relates to slavery and racism or even better some technical advantaged to wasting the time debating and going through the process or erasing the word from a history of usage. There is no point to continue with this worthless debate. There are so many more items that time could be better spent working and addressing.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 9:03 PM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 2021-11-12 at 22:14 +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> There are a trillion and two external dependencies on many
> of the above that take extra work and ages on top of that.

For example, according to codesearch there are around 210 mentions of
the domain in 61 Debian source packages. I have local checkouts of more
than 30 git repositories that mention the domain. There are more if you
search for the team name instead of the domain. Of course many of those
are in very old debian/changelog entries so might not need changing.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise