Re: "rms-open-letter" choice 3: do not, as the project itself, sign any letter regarding rms

Quoting Timo Weingärtner (2021-03-27 11:51:40)
> 26.03.21 20:42 Jonas Smedegaard:
> > Quoting Calum McConnell (2021-03-26 20:14:50)
> > >
> > > "In person" is a bit unclear, given our times: can I sign it
> > > online? How about just adding my name?
[...]
> > Replacing "invited to do this in person" with "strongly encouraged
> > to do so" would in my opinion radically change the message from an
> > unbiased "Debian does not recommend if you should personally support
> > a petition or not" to a biased "Debian recommends that you
> > personally support a petition".  I would *not* second such changed
> > proposal.
>
> I took "in a personal capacity" from Gunnar.

Rule #9: Given a choice between Jonas and Gunnar, pick Gunnar

:-)

> > Replacing "in question" with "on this subject" seems to me to not
> > change to meaning of the message.  I would second a proposed text
> > with that change.
>
> That's better actually, because it is not restricted to statements
> mentioned in the vote.
>
> Updated text:
> ---8<---8<---8<---
> The Debian Project will not issue a public statement on whether Richard
> Stallman should be removed from leadership positions or not.
>
> Any individual (including Debian members) wishing to (co-)sign any of the open
> letters on this subject is invited to do this in a personal capacity.
> ---8<---8<---8<---

Seconded!

> An alternative would be removing the last sentence all together, how
> do you think about that?

Such change might be (mis)read as bias against (not only organisational,
but also) personal engagement in petitions.

I find it a feature of this text that it explicitly clarifies that
Debian has no opinion on personal engagement in petitions. I.e.
praphrased: "Debian says no to partitions, but (just in case of doubt)
has no say on what members of Debian do individually".

If instead you consider it that a flaw, and instead intended the message
to be that Debian is more generally against those petitions, then I
think it would be better to express that explicitly, e.g. by explicitly
discouraging Debian members to sign those petitions even in a personal
capacity.

 - Jonas