Re: Asking DPL to shorten Discussion Period for rms-open-letter

Le samedi 27 mars 2021 à 10:41:57+0100, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
> Quoting Enrico Zini (2021-03-27 10:08:06)
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 02:31:28PM -0700, Luke W Faraone wrote:
> >
> > > Myself, I signed this letter based on both public information and
> > > the numerous times I've heard, unprompted, stories from women and
> > > female-presenting people who have had uncomfortable / creepy
> > > experiences with Stallman, in the Debian / free software community,
> > > the MIT community, and elsewhere.
> > >
> > > I have heard first-hand stories from women who were new to the Free
> > > Software movement and, at a conference, were excited to meet its
> > > leader -- only to be hit on by Richard and invited back to continue
> > > the conversation at a residence. These people did not stay in the
> > > Free Software movement, and our community is poorer for it.
> > >
> > > None of those incidents would have turned into a police report, and
> > > I'm not demanding that you rely on it. But it comes up so frequently
> > > at conferences, student clubs, and bar chats from so many different
> > > people that I have little reason to doubt its veracity.
> > >
> > > It's also interesting to note that over 12 former FSF staff, who
> > > worked directly with Richard, also saw it fit to sign the letter.
> >
> > This! Thank you!
> >
> > I have regularly been among people sharing horror stories of what
> > happened when they hosted RMS at some event or another.
> >
> > In my experience there is an unwritten, alternative "RMS Rider", that
> > you should know before hosting/handling him, with things like "don't
> > you *ever* leave RMS alone with a woman!", "avoid mentioning this list
> > of words", "a number of basic expectations of human decency don't
> > apply, and you should be prepared for that".
> >
> > As long as he was in a somewhat official position of guru/leadership,
> > I was part of a community that tried its best to *handle* him, and to
> > *minimize his damage*. I understand that many people close to him
> > tried to talk to him, and that Stallman is about as famous for
> > speaking as for not listening. I believe that all this has held Free
> > Software back significantly.
> >
> > We had finally moved on from having a significant amount of the
> > community energy spent on *handling Stallman*. And now he's supposed
> > to be back "and I'm not planning to resign a second time"?
> >
> > Stallman can certainly *speak* about Free Software. Stallman cannot
> > *lead* the Free Software movement, or any influential part of it. We
> > had moved on, and we had mostly gotten away with it[1]. I don't want
> > to go back.
>
> Thanks for your judgements(!), Luke and Enrico.
>
> For the record, I do not defend actions of RMS.  I defend his right to a
> fair trial.
>
> This mailinglist is for dicussing what to put on a ballot.
>
> I need no further testimonies or evicence that RMS is a monster.
> Regardless of the amount and type of proof, Debian should in my opinion
> *not* take part in group shaming.  And *that* is relevant to discuss on
> this mailinglist: What to put on the ballot for the Debian vote.

> [...]

A fair trial is what you expect from the society when your actions are
put under the justice system.

Here as a group of people, his trial is mostly what he said publicly and
never apologised for.

I don't really see why you'd like him to get any sort of """trial"""
when he had plenty opportunities to prove himself to have become better.

Regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2