Re: Asking DPL to shorten Discussion Period for rms-open-letter

Hi Anarcat,

Quoting Antoine Beaupré (2021-03-25 20:11:45)
> Hey what's up doc,
>
> On 2021-03-25 00:41:41, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting M dB (2021-03-24 23:55:23)
> >> A few thoughts:
> >>
> >> - I don't like the term "cancel" because I think it doesn't mean
> >> much anymore and is too loaded.
> >
> > Means too little and too much at the same time?!?
> >
> > https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-culture/cancel-culture/ describes
> > it as a form of boycott, calling out, and group shaming.
> >
> > Wikipedia seems to share that view - what am I missing? Am I in some
> > bubble confirming my views, and other bubbles tell radically
> > different storis about the meaning of the term?
> >

> >> Are we discussing a handful of people leaving volunteer positions?
> >> Yes. Are we discussing ruining their lives? No.
> >
> > Are we disccussing public boycott and shaming? Yes.
> >
> > Do public boycott and shaming ruin lives?  Hopefully not, but I
> > wonder how you can so confidently dismiss both the term as being
> > meaningless and the action as being harmless.  Shame on you for not
> > taking responsibility for your action.
>
> Did you just "shame" someone because they supposedly call on "shaming"
> someone else? Isn't that a contradiction?

No.  I shame someone for reframing an act of group shaming as harmless.

> > I get a strong impression that this RMS felow is far from a saint,
> > and encourage that he be properly tried for his alleged wrongdoings.
>
> So basically, what you are proposing is that, instead of suggesting
> RMS simply be expelled from a non-profit, all the witnesses and
> victims of his crimes should collectively organise for him to be
> criminally prosecuted in a court of law in the United States?
>
> How would that not be public shaming?

Regardless of the shame involved in prosecution in a US court system,
that does not legimitize group shaming.

I find it reasonable for Debian to distance itself from questionable
activities in related organisations, but not to get involved in group
shaming.

I find it distasteful for Debian to *judge* activities in related
organisations.

Stating that "[RMS] has shown himself to be misogynist, ableist, and
transphobic" is treating allegations (arguably very strong allegations
but still not proven in a court of law) as it it was facts.

> Anyways, I think the point here is to get seconders, maybe we should
> keep those arguments to the vote and move on. I hope I won't regret
> outlining the contradictions here.

I think the point here is to discuss what should be on the ballot.

 - Jonas