Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 12:21:56PM -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:
ok i can no longer be silent (and it's in no way referred to Philip,
whose email i'm reply to)

so that it is very clear that there is room for dissenting opinion, and
with a link to the vote page so that anyone that is interested can
easily discover how individuals voted on the issue?

That scares me. what will happen to the list of people who disagree
with the ratification of the statement by Debian as a project? The
people that are so strongly pushing for this (and many other) actions
will have a list of (in their eyes) good and bad Debian members.

And of course "nothing will happen, this is democracy at work", but
how can *I* be sure of that? how can anybody be sure that there wont
be anyone going thru decades of emails, twits, etc to find something
"incriminating" for those people, because they disagree with them? how
can i feel safe to vote no or FD in this GR?

you are scaring me, you are threatening me, you are making me afraid
of voting, of writing to mailing lists, to publish my ideas due to
fear or repercussions. Is this what you want? Did you notice how few
people have the courage and strength to disagree publicly with you?
with your perennial fight for purity, you're taking my voice away: i
do believe you think what you're doing is the Right Thing, but that
has consequences you're not seeing, because the people who disagree
with you are not "free" anymore to express themselves. you are
establishing a de-facto Thought Police, that has been years in the
making. I'm even afraid i'll get punished with the CoC for this email.

is this what you want for Debian and its fellow members?

During the heights of the Black Lives Matter protests (it's one
example), did you force all your colleagues to sign a petition for
*OR* against demanding your employer to publicly state that Black
Lives Matter? did you do the same with your condo board, tenants
association, borough board, city council etc? how did that go?

Why are you dragging Debian's name into this? We are not a political
entity, we are (in our own words:
https://www.debian.org/intro/philosophy) "an association of
individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating
system".

So go ahead, make your individuality be heard, sign (or not sign, it's
up to YOU!) the open letter as who you are, but please leave Deiban,
our technical project, outside of this fight.

+1

One more word: since people can freely sign that statement, imagine how
impressively long that list of people signing it would be! If you all, Debian
Developers wishing that GR to pass, will sign it, it will take forever to peruse
the whole list of signatories! That would have a very good impact for you:
provide a strong feeling that the text is abundantly supported.

But, *but*, I do not think it is the role of the Debian project to globally have
anything signed "Debian" about this FSF/Stallman/GNU story.

Filippo

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Filippo Rusconi, PhD
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   Research scientist at CNRS