Re: Question to Jonathan: What did you Mean

Hi Sam

On 2021/03/25 17:58, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Bart> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:53:23PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
>     >> On this particular issue, I feel it's better that individual
>     >> developers go and make their voices heard.
>
>     Bart> Thank you Jonathan! I really hope most DDs feel the same way.
>

> Jonathan, it sounds like Bart is interpreting your text above to mean
> that you don't think Debian should adopt a GR supporting the open letter
> that you signed as an individual.

Hmm, I don't see Bart inferring that anywhere in that e-mail, how do you
get that from his response?

> First, is Bart's interpretation of what you said correct?

If that's indeed his interpretation, then not quite.

> Second, if so, why?

In just two days, we've shown tremendous support from project members in
that petition, and it was completely spontaneous. There's over a hundred
results if you search for "debian" in there currently, with 10 of them
being people who have served DPL terms. I think that already speaks
loudly, and it happening without any co-ordination or planning shows the
world that those of us who signed it there wants this to happen, not
that I want to bring in political terms into this, but it has good
optics for the cause.

If we have a GR about this, I'm very confident that it will pass, but
I'm pretty sure it won't be unanimous, if we have a vote about it just
to have Debian up there on the list, it might end up looking worse if
20% or 30% (or whatever) of our members voted against having it there.
And, it's entirely possible for someone to agree with that text without
thinking that it's appropriate right now for the project to sign that
statement.

As I've also said in the rest of the mail that Bart replied to, I will
not stand in the way in the GR and will respect it's outcome. I don't
yet know how I would vote in such a GR, I'll likely even vote in its
favour, but I believe that our individual voices on that page will be
more effective and a better use of time than having a GR to get the
project name on there, I know others will feel different and I'm
comfortable with that.

-Jonathan