Re: Proposal: Init Diversity

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 7:11 PM Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@disroot.org> wrote:

Here I formally propose new version of my draft, and withdraw all
previous versions of it.

[2019-11-20 12:40] Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> Dmitry replied that this was not his intent, and explained his intent
> to me.  He said he would welcome a proposed amendment.  I don't have
> permission to quote his email, but I think I can capture his intent.

FWIW, you have my permission to quote GR-related mails as needed. We are
on tight schedule.

> For now, I propose the following amendment:
> [...]

Thank you, Ian. I agree with your wording. Incorporated and formally
proposed.

> I think the effect of this is:
>
>  * For software that merely needs an init script writing, an init
>    script MUST be provided (by the Debian maintainer, if necessary).
>
>  * For software that needs other patches writing, it is up to the
>    community to write patches for non-systemd support.  The maintainer
>    does not need to write them but MUST accept them if they are
>    provided, because then "support for running with systemd is
>    available".
>
>  * Software that is inextricably tied to systemd is permitted,
>    even though it only works with systemd as pid 1.

This. I hope updated wording can't be read other way.
--
Note, that I send and fetch email in batch, once in a few days.
Please, mention in body of your reply when you add or remove recepients.