Re: Question: What would you like to see {more,less} of?

Chris Lamb writes ("Re: Question: What would you like to see {more,less} of?"):
> [stuff]

Thanks.  As is conventional I'll reply mostly to the bit I disagree
with :-).

> I agree that people can still disagree but I am just aiming for the
> platonic ideal where positions are not swayed at all by the person
> expressing them. Perhaps that is too idealistic.

I think it is not only too idealistic but even, perhaps, undesirable.
We (all of us) don't have the time, knowledge, and skills to make
every decision and weigh every factor ourselves.  We rely on the help
of our friends and colleagues, to make better decisions, or,
sometimes, even to be able to make decisions at all.  And of course
that means having an idea which of our collaborators are a better
guide on which topics.

> Indeed, I can imagine them being influenced negatively just as often
> as positively; nobody likes to be felt like they are being bossed
> around, after all.

I certainly don't want to encourage you to start avoid bossing people
around.  But I think it is possible, even for the DPL, to express an
opinion - an opinion which necessarily carries more weight - without
implying an expectation that everyone will just go along with it.

There is a big space between `this opinion carries the same weight as
that of any random poster' and `what this person says, goes'.

> > I appreciate that this is a lot of work.
>
> (Well, perhaps the DPL should start posting to the mailing lists
> under a pseudonym…!)

Hahahah :-).

Regards,
Ian.