Re: Question: What would you like to see {more,less} of?

Dear Ian,

> IMO the DPL is never "just another voice".  But if you want to give a
> message some additional weight

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Just to clarify, I
wouldn't want to add too much weight on technical topics in the sense
of offering lamby-as-DPL's opinion versus lamby-as-lamby's own ideas.

>   * summarise the arguments in as neutral a way as possible
>   * write a personal statement of your own preferences
>   * identify whose responsibility it is to take the ultimate decision
>   * and/or explicitly ask for volunteers to step forward for tasks
>     which in your view need doing, but which are lacking effort.

This seems like definitely something to try — thank you for the
suggestion. I particularly like how a personal statement (assuming it
was labelled as such) should not trigger any of the aforementioned
"hat" issues.

> People who disagree with you, particularly key decisionmakers and
> stakeholders, can still say so, and don't have to do as you say.

I agree that people can still disagree but I am just aiming for the
platonic ideal where positions are not swayed at all by the person
expressing them. Perhaps that is too idealistic.

Indeed, I can imagine them being influenced negatively just as often
as positively; nobody likes to be felt like they are being bossed
around, after all.

> I appreciate that this is a lot of work.

(Well, perhaps the DPL should start posting to the mailing lists
under a pseudonym…!)

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.