Re: Question: What would you like to see {more,less} of?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 04:04:22PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:

> Therefore, what would you like to see *more* of from a Project
> Leader? What would would you like to see less of?

Hello Chris, thanks for asking.

I'd like the DPL to provide more vision for the project, by occasionally
publicly expressing an opinion on the current state of Debian and where
you'd like it to go.

I wouldn't want the DPL to express their opinion with the expectation
that everyone should agree or follow their lead, but more with the idea
of giving a sense of direction, to unlock situations that are stalled
because there isn't one clear way forward.

Sometimes there is a growing itch that might be scratched in several
ways, but it's unclear which of those ways is The Debian Way. If I were
in the position of doing something about scratching such an itch, I'd
probably not do anything because, I don't know, maybe what I'm thinking
about is the way forward, maybe nobody cares.

With a DPL opinion/vision/hope expressed somewhere, one could say
"<that>'s what the DPL said, and it sounds sensible to me, I'll do
that", and it might help congealing a sense of direction and purpose.

In general, I think that having a prior DPL opinion on a topic helps
preventing an issue to escalate to a flamewar if/when it finally becomes
urgently relevant. When the energy builds up and there is no clear way
forward, I think the energy gets focused on arguing about the way
forward[1]. When instead there is a general idea of a way forward, I
think it's more likely that the energy gets focused on making it happen.

Enrico

[1] when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>