Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I have no problem acknowledging that we haven't been able to implement
> > the existing GR, but I don't see the utility of voting to remove the
> > possibility of ever implementing it.
>
> I would prefer removing the possibility of ever implementing it
> without another vote. We can always vote again if someone comes up
> with a workable scheme.

That puts a whole lot of stop energy in front of anyone who actually is
interested in trying to declassify -private, though; they'd have to come
up with a method, bikeshed the method, and then propose a vote which
still might not succeed.

I know that the vote to disallow declassifying anything before 2008
stopped me from working on this when I was interested in understanding
the early project history.

Going forward, another alternative is to:

1) Keep the method for the archives; it sucks, but it doesn't really
hurt anything.

2) All messages to -private will be declassified within 3 years with the
   exception of:

   a) [VAC] messages

   b) messages with [PRIVATE] in the subject; all such messages must be
   PGP signed with a key in the keyring or they will be rejected by the
   mailing list software.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic
 -- Terry Pratchett