Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> I have no problem acknowledging that we haven't been able to implement
> the existing GR, but I don't see the utility of voting to remove the
> possibility of ever implementing it.

I would prefer removing the possibility of ever implementing it without
another vote.  We can always vote again if someone comes up with a
workable scheme.

The possibility of declassification affects discussion, causes a lot of
people to add signatures saying to never declassify their messages, and
keeps coming up as people fret about it.  This is all wasted energy and
worry given that there is no realistic prospect that the declassification
will happen.

Your proposal is an improvement, but it still leaves a lot of uncertainty.
Since there are no plans to actually do anything about declassification,
and since there seems to be widespread agreement that the method for
declassification in the previous GR, while well-intentioned, is
unimplementable in practice, let's just remove the whole thing and require
another vote if anyone later comes up with a good idea.  It simplifies
matters.