Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 16:54:23 +0100, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:

[...]

> I feel an attempt should be made to reform that process to something
> we might stand a chance of implementing, rather than abolish it
> entirely, but I'm currently unable to second Don's excellent
> amendments.  I beg other DDs to consider them favourably.

Given that, IIRC, one of the main reasons for wanting to declassify
-private was that people wanted to be able to refer to previous
discussions on -private that were historically significant, I'm
wondering if a more sane approach would be to just say something along
the lines of "anything on -private older than 3 years (and excluding the
items excluded in the original GR) may be quoted publicly".

Doing something like this means for content that people care about, the
declassification work gets done by the people who care about it, and
nobody has to worry about content that nobody cares about.

Alternatively, the "declassification team" could just be a team that
receives declassification requests, determines whether the requested
posts may be declassified, and if so, plops the posts into a public
archive somewhere.  This would give more control over the
declassification process and make sure that it is done by people who
understand the rules.

</bikeshed>

--
Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca