Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> The acknowledgement is about failing to implement the existing GR,
> being honest about it, and to let us move on from it.

I have no problem acknowledging that we haven't been able to implement
the existing GR, but I don't see the utility of voting to remove the
possibility of ever implementing it.

I don't see how we could ever declassify -private without this amendment
as the previous vote had an alternative to declassify mails before 2005
which failed, [I should note too, that I've attempted on one or two
occasions to go through and declassify -private, but the process
required was far too clunky.]

Therefore, I'm contemplating proposing an amendment to this proposed GR
which either acknowledges that we have failed to declassify -private for
the time being, or gives listmaster@ the ability to define a published
procedure for the automated declassification of private.

Possible text for the former here:

=== BEGIN GR TEXT ===

Title: Acknowledge that Debian has failed to declassify debian-private

1. Debian acknowledges that it has failed to declassify debian-private,
   and that this is unlikely to change at any point in the future.

2. In keeping with paragraph 3 of the Debian Social Contract, Debian
   Developers are strongly encouraged to use the debian-private mailing
   list only for discussions that should not be disclosed.

=== END GR TEXT ===

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved
by brute strength and ignorance.
 -- William's Law