Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

Le jeudi, 7 juillet 2016, 12.31:40 Don Armstrong a écrit :
> That puts a whole lot of stop energy in front of anyone who actually
> is interested in trying to declassify -private, though; they'd have
> to come up with a method, bikeshed the method, and then propose a
> vote which still might not succeed.

The previous GR apparently hasn't removed enough of the stop-energy
either; it is time for us to acknowledge that it is not workable.

I also kinda disagree that in the absence of a GR (aka before the 05-002
GR, or after we'd have repeal'ed it) there are real active blockers
against declassification.

Afterall, "technically", our promise of privacy for d-private is only
regulated by the developers-reference that says, in §4.1.3:
> private discussions amongst Debian developers. It is meant to be used
> for posts which for whatever reason should not be published publicly.
> As such, it is a low volume list, and users are urged not to use
> <debian-private@lists.debian.org> unless it is really necessary.
> Moreover, do _not_ forward email from that list to anyone.

I'd argue that, barring any specific GR, the declassification of d-
private is technically something of the jurisdiction of the listmasters.
I trust their ability to come up with a declassification procedure that
respects the best interests of the back-then writers and those of the
project.

We should now acknowledge that the work to declassify d-private archives
would be very sensitive, complex and would need quite a load of good
judgment calls. Given the assumption that the most interesting part is
the early days (aka pre-2005 GR), we have no process anyhow.

In short, I think that no matter the process, declassification would not
happen, as it's a too complex problem. I'm fine with us taking that
position.

    OdyX