Re: Q to all candidates: spending money

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:16:45AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In his platform, Neil wrote:
> > I will spend some money we have horded. Debian currently holds
> > approximately $200,000 at SPI alone. Our donators didn't give us money
> > for it to be sat around in a bank account, we should spend it to make
> > the project more successful.
>
> Neil: how will your approach to that be different from what was done in
> the past? On what additional things specifically do you plan to spend
> that money?

This has been an issue for a while in Debian. See Steve's talk in 2009
in Spain:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/Public/debian-meetings/2009/debconf9/high/1058_Money.ogv
(You also get to see a younger version of me running around with a
microphone...)

Some simple things I would be interested in:
* Publicity/events. If we need a banner for a stall, lets get one. If we
need some nice leaflets etc about Debian, we can get some printed.
* Meetings. Sprints are great, and it's fantastic to see those being
promoted for DebCamp. Our main conference each year is DebConf, and I
would be happy to provide the float so that people can get travel
sponsorship (for example) confirmed earlier.
* Outreach. Every team complains (quite rightly!) about the lack of
people to do the work. Yet we seem to be rather poor at actively
recruiting people to come and do things for us. Outreachy is a great
initiative, and I would love to see a Debian Apprentice scheme (though
that's probably a bit of a stretch goal!)

> All candidates: how will you reconcile that with the fact that the DPL
> currently only has a limited vision of what funds are available, and how
> they evolved over time?

Interestingly, in 2009, we had over 100k USD. We're quickly approaching
double that. We have the large picture of how much we get in and spend,
I don't think there's a risk of running out of money any time soon.

Neil