Re: Q to all candidates: SWOT analysis

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:55:01AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You are probably familiar with SWOT analysis
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis).
>
> From your perspective, what are Debian's main strengths, weaknesses,
> opportunities and threats?

Indeed, though I'm not the biggest fan of SWOT. It's often misused, and
doesn't actually solve any issues on its own for strategic thinking.[0]

A couple of common errors are to create a SWOT on its own, or to create
a SWOT by yourself. The presence of one doesn't actually solve anything,
or indeed identify a way to improve. Secondly, simply having one
person's view on what should go in a box misses out the point of it - to
engage and try and bring a common understanding of where we need to go.

However, I've answered some of the above in a interview for the
publicity team, so look out for that. I wouldn't want to spoil the
work that they've put in :)

[0] The Use and Misuse of SWOT Analysis and Implications for HRD
Professionals is interesting for those who want more reading.

Neil