Re: Suggestion to simplify clause 2. (was: Re: GR proposal, Call for Seconds - term limit for the tech-ctte)

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:

> On 02/12/14 at 12:52 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> If there is consensus that simplicity is preferable and Lucas won't mind
>> dealing with the upcoming ties (in a way that is constitutionally
>> sound), I'll be happy to formally accept an amendment to that end.
>
> I would find it a bit strange to deal with the vorlon/aba tie, but would
> of course accept to do it if the resulting general resolution put that
> responsibility in the DPL's hands.

Didn't you just do it already ;-)

> How would you implement that? By expliciting making the DPL the
> tie-breaking entity in that case, or by implicitely falling back to
> 5.1.4 "Make any decision for whom noone else has responsibility."?
>
> If you make it explicit, it would be better to clarify if the DPL who
> makes the decision is the DPL on January 1st, or on the following
> December 31st. Which might result on more verbosity that the current
> version, heh :-)

Since it will only ever be relevant for the vorlon/aba tie, it seems
superfluous to put anything into the constitution.

If you insist on something explicit, I'd suggest:

  3. Appointments are not simultaneous.

That way, if they might appear to be simultaneous, as in the aba/vorlon
case, it's up to someone (i.e. the DPL) to decide which one was done
first.  I'd suggest that that isn't really needed, but seems harmless.

Conveniently, as you point out, the announcement order for vorlon/aba
coincides with the way the tie-breaker would have acted anyway, so we
can just say that vorlon was appointed moments before aba and all is
well, and the problem never needs to arise again, so no complicated
clauses required.

Cheers, Phil.