Re: All DPL candidates: level of team management [and 1 more messages]

Hi Ian,

On 13/03/14 at 16:11 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Contrary to what Lars says, I think there is a clear difference
> between these two approaches.  ISTM that Lucas is much more "hands-on"
> and (for example) and takes much more of a close interest in the
> processes adopted by teams, than Neil would do.
>
> Do you both think that's a fair characterisation ?

I believe that it is one of the DPL's roles to ensure that our main
teams are functional, and that includes reviewing the teams' visible
processes (those which have an impact on how the rest of the project
interacts with the team).  That's important, because when you are inside
a team, it's often hard to see yourself with the eyes of the rest of the
project -- an external POV can help.  It is also important because it's
a way to help teams focus on their main tasks by offloading some of the
work of communicating with the rest of the project to the DPL. Actually,
something I haven't really done much but would like to do more if
re-elected, is to review the teams wiki pages when updating delegations,
and possibly contribute to improving those wiki pages.

Of course, that's something that the DPL should do in collaboration
with the teams, without imposing any processes on the teams: the teams
should be able to decide how they organize their area of responsibility.

- Lucas