Re: All DPL candidates: level of team management

Hi Lars,

Thanks for kicking off the questions this year!

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:49:41PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> For all DPL candidates:
>
> We have a number of delegated teams. How detailed should the
> delegations be?

I've written my view of the constitution in quite a detailed post at:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/01/msg00044.html

But for a succinct version, It's basically "you should delegate areas of
responsibility, not process".

> What is the appropriate level of oversight, management, and control
> that the DPL and the project in general should have for deciding what
> the teams work on, and how they do their job?

Firstly, I think it's important to note that the DPL should not be
*deciding* what individual people work on, or how they do their job. It's
absolutely against how we work as a project.

However, there is a role for the DPL to guide what they believe (through
their electoral mandate) to be the best path we should be following as a
distribution. It's also the job of the DPL to enable things to happen.

The DPL should ensure that the teams are being responsive, and that
the teams are in good health. Ensuring that a particular team isn't
being a pinch point and unreasonably blocking progress in an area is an
important aspect.
If there is concern in that area, then the DPL should try and work with
the team to resolve it, attempting to find more people or money to help,
or seeing if there's a way forward that can be agreed by everyone
involved.

Specifically on oversight, I think it's important that teams send out
regular bits mails, and would encourage teams to do so. However, this is
separate from "control" of delegates. In volunteer projects it's
important to remember that you cannot force people to do anything: I
prefer a constructive relationship rather than a dictatorial one :)

Neil