Re: [all candidates] DPL salary

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> Due to time and travel demands, there are blockers in being DPLs. Most
> of them are work related. Within that category of blockers, some could
> be solved by a salary but many (according to your judgement) could not.
> If we agree on this, it means that we are losing many potential good DPL
> candidates due to those blockers.
>
> The broader question is than: what can we do to loose those blockers and
> profit more from the abilities that we do have in our community?

First, we need to know those blockers. We can figure some of them out on
our own (travel time, work, etc) - but the best way would be to ask, as
I said so in my earlier reply too.

Once we have more input, we can try to find a solution. Most likely you
have way more information about the matter than I do, but right now, I
don't feel we have enough knowledge to start thinking about how to
remove the blockers.

> Maybe the answer is "nothing"; it's just the way it is, and we should
> accept a "deficit" on that front wrt other communities. But maybe there
> is something else we could do... what?

One thing that does come to mind, is that people need to realize that
the DPL is not a one man army. The DPL does not need to do everything
alone, and is not expected to do that, either. (Or if so, we're doing
something terribly wrong)

The DPL must know his or her limits, and - with the help of the project
- find ways to counter them, be that delegations or something else. It
is not, and should not be a one man show.