Re: [all candidates] DPL salary

"Didier 'OdyX' Raboud" <odyx@debian.org> writes:
> Le mercredi, 13 mars 2013 18.03:36, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>> For example, I live in the SF Bay Area.  Fair market compensation here
>> for the sort of senior IT person that we would elect DPL is *at least*
>> $100,000 US per year, and at $100,000, people would generally be taking
>> a substantial pay cut because they believed in the organization.

> "the sort of senior IT person that we would elect DPL" is the part that
> puzzles me: with both the extension of the DD status and the diversity
> statement, we made it clear that we welcome all sorts of contributions
> from all sorts of contributors: I, for one, would be very happy to elect
> a DPL who is not necessarily that "senior IT person". I'm not hereby
> saying that "senior IT persons" become bad DPLs or that other
> professions have lower "costs" than the above figures, just that I think
> it's very important to keep the "potential DPL"s set wide enough.

Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well.

What I was trying to get at is that the DPLs we select are skilled people.
We encourage our best developers to run, and then we try to select the
best person among that mix.  The bar is rather higher than being a Debian
developer.  It's not necessarily higher along the metric of technical
ability; it could be higher along the metric of people skills, or clarity
of expression, or financial management, or organizational skills.  But
clearly we're trying to select among our stronger members, and I consider
the general competence of DDs to already be quite high.  (For example,
when deciding whether to hire someone, knowing that they're a DD would be
a substantial plus.)

All of those skills, whether technical or organizational or social, are
worth money.  They make you a "senior" employee, which in US corporate
lingo doesn't mean that you've been doing it for a long time, but rather
is an indication of responsibility and pay grade.  Anyone with any of that
mix of skills that makes a good DPL could easily command a six-figure
salary here if they so choose, in some job or another.  (If their skills
are primarily social and organizational, it might be a management instead
of a technical position.)