Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Wed, Aug 12 2009, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava dijo [Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:08:52PM -0500]:
>> > I basically oppose such a GR, as it is is merely speculative (who
>> > knows _now_ or at the GR voting time when we will be close to
>> > achieving our release goals?), and because it is a ruling on a
>> > technical subject (at least according to some metrics). But if the
>> > vote were to be held at all, I would add:
>> >
>> >   6. The Debian project recognizes the responsible team to take any
>> >      decisions regarding the freeze date and reach to be the Release
>> >      Team, and accepts their best judgement in this regard.
>>
>>         Perhaps you should look at this less confrontationally. The vote
>>  is a non-binding recommendation, it is an information gathering vote
>>  where people provide feedback to the release team; by voting for the
>>  option that best suits their development plans.
>>
>>         Based on the outcome, the release team can come to an *informed*
>>  decision. By objecting to the vote, you might be making the tasks of
>>  the release team harder, by denying them information from the project
>>  at large.
>
> It is not confrontational, as it has been pointed out by others
> here. You might rephrase what I meant to say as:
>
>     6. This particular developer knows there is more to a release than
>        his personal (or particular group's) points of view, and
>        acknowledges any decision put forward by the release team, as
>        long as they listen to the project real concerns, will be
>        better informed and, thus, better than any random date that
>        might be pushed forward

        Why is this vote not being considered a part of the  release
 managers listening to the developers? Throw away the results of the
 vote. The release managers can just look at the raw data, to see how
 many people are saying that for their packages, the optimal release
 date is foo. Then, factor in other variables, and look at large
 packages differently, look at the major packages to sync with upstream
 and other distributions, and decide.

        This whole thing of we must not even take a straw poll to see
 what developers might say, because giving the developers a voice will
 somehow undercut the release team seems somewhat strange to me.

        I would be against binding resolutions, but I am in favour of
 non-binding straw polls.

        manoj
--
Kill Ugly Processor Architectures Karl Lehenbauer