Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 05:39:23AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:28:58PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> > About freeze timing we think that DebConf should definitely not fall
> > into a freeze

> > We noticed that releases in the first quarter of the year
> > worked out quite well in the past like both Etch and Lenny. Taking these
> > into consideration we think it would be best to freeze in December.

> > We'll be consulting all key teams within Debian to see how their plans
> > and schedules can fit into a new timeline. Before the end of August we
> > hope to have finished this process of consultation and be able to
> > present the new plan to you.

> Why not have a developer poll as to what month(s) would most suit
> people for the freeze, rather than limiting it to "key teams"?

So, with August almost half-way over, I guess the release team's not
going to be doing much more to seek input from non-key teams/developers.

I still think it'd be interesting and useful to get broader input,
though. Something like a choice amongst the following questions by GR
might work:

  1. The Debian project recommends that the release team target
     December 2009 for squeeze's freeze, and work hard to avoid allowing
     the freeze to slip by more than a few weeks. The project notes this
     is approximately 10 months after lenny's release, and approximately
     18 months after lenny's freeze. The project acknowledges this may
     assist in synchronising Debian 6.0 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, may assist
     in setting up regular freezes every second December, and is intended
     to allow Debian 6.0 to be released prior to DebConf 2010.

  2. The Debian project recommends that the release team target
     January-February 2010 for squeeze's freeze, following a December
     "release summit" with maintainers/upstreams for major packages to
     allow some new upstream releases that occur early in the freeze to be
     included. The project acknowledges this may assist in synchronising
     Debian 6.0 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and may assist in setting up
     regular freezes every second year. The project notes this may or
     may not allow Debian 6.0 to be released prior to DebConf 2010.

  3. The Debian project recommends that the release team target
     March/April 2010 for squeeze's freeze. The project acknowledges
     this will likely mean the freeze will be active during DebConf 10.

  4. The Debian project recommends that the release team target
     May-July 2010 for squeeze's freeze. The project notes that this
     is approximately two years after lenny's freeze, and acknowledges
     this will mean the freeze will be active during DebConf 10.

  5. The Debian project recommends that the release team target
     October-December 2010 for squeeze's freeze. The project notes that
     this will be after DebConf 10 has finished, and between 20-22 months
     after lenny's release. The project acknowledges that depending on
     the length of the freeze, this may mean squeeze will be released
     more than two years after lenny.

Any thoughts? We could have such a vote over and done in about two weeks,
with the DPL's consent, and it'd seem a lot more inclusive and less
cabal-tastic than how things seem to be working atm...

Cheers,
aj