Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

> On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> I basically oppose such a GR, as it is is merely speculative (who
>> knows _now_ or at the GR voting time when we will be close to
>> achieving our release goals?), and because it is a ruling on a
>> technical subject (at least according to some metrics). But if the
>> vote were to be held at all, I would add:
>>
>>   6. The Debian project recognizes the responsible team to take any
>>      decisions regarding the freeze date and reach to be the Release
>>      Team, and accepts their best judgement in this regard.
>
>         Perhaps you should look at this less confrontationally. The vote
>  is a non-binding recommendation, it is an information gathering vote
>  where people provide feedback to the release team; by voting for the
>  option that best suits their development plans.

While I can't really disagree with this, I don't think a GR will
actually provide all the needed information.

In a GR, quite a few people will prefer one option over the other for
reasons that have nothing to do with the feasibility or quality of a
freeze at a given point [1].

I believe answers to a short questionnaire (what will be released when?
should it be in squeeze) would help a lot more, and thus I'm currently
working with the rest of the release team to send such mails.

At this point, I would like to once again apologize for the less than
optimal handling of communication between the release team and the rest
of the project in the past month. [2] The last weeks were shaped by
discussions that would have been unneeded if we had explained proposals
in a better way (and marked them more clearly as proposals) and avoided
some (now obvious) mistakes.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  As example, people who know that they have a few thousand machines
     running lenny will probably prefer a later date, so that they don't
     need to do mass dist-upgrades after just 30 months.
[2]  Please note that this statement is not a coordinated release team
     statement, but an expression of my personal feelings.