Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 15:08 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>>         Perhaps you should look at this less confrontationally. The vote
>>  is a non-binding recommendation, it is an information gathering vote
>>  where people provide feedback to the release team; by voting for the
>>  option that best suits their development plans.
>>
>>         Based on the outcome, the release team can come to an *informed*
>>  decision. By objecting to the vote, you might be making the tasks of
>>  the release team harder, by denying them information from the project
>>  at large.
>
> I do not trust a majority of people – regardless of the people – to make
> an appropriate managerial decision. We have people in charge, who take a
> lot of time to remain informed of the status of various subsystems in
> Debian so that they can make informed decisions. If we replace them by a
> majority’s vote, you can expect the decisions to be wrong.

        You are not reading.

        The whole vote is to come up with a recommendation for the
 decision makers, and the raw vote counts can give them an idea of the
 impact or desirability of each option. There is no decision by the
 unwashed masses bit going on here. This is just a medium of informing
 the decision makers of teams that they might not have time to keep up
 with -- and  individual developers, whole release plans en masse  ought
 to have some bearing on the release, and thus are relevant information
 to the RM's

        Had the vote draft been couched as overriding a delegate
 decision, you might have ahd a point to your rant.

        manoj

--
The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches us
nothing. Andre Maurois (Emile Herzog)