Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Luk Claes wrote:

> Note that firmware is no program AFAICS...

        I do not think I agree. I think it is indeed a software program,
 and I am not alone:
,----[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software ]
|   Firmware which is software programmed(sic) resident to electrically
|   programmable memory devices on board mainboards or other types of
|   integrated hardware carriers
`----

        Frankly, a software program may be loaded into parts of the
 computer heavily dependent on the processor that will run the program
 instructions; the processor can be designed to read instructions from
 core memory, magnetic tape, field programmable gate arrays, hardware
 registers .....

        Putting in hardware design details into foundation documents
 seems weird; and as the number of processors and cores explode, with
 new GPU's (which used to be video cards) now being able to perform
 computations for the so called "central" processor, the boundary
 between computations performed on the multiplying number and kinds of
 processors in a computer is going to get rapidly blurred.

        The DFSG has lasted us oer a decade. In another decade, I think
 the distinction of "central" and "periphery" and "Cell" processors is
 likely to erode; and our DFSG definition should be forward looking.

        manoj
--
It is better to be bow-legged than no-legged.