Re: call for seconds: on firmware

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> Le dimanche 16 novembre 2008 à 11:34 -0600, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :

>>         So, really, we cannot release programs (firmware) in main
>>  without source code just because a few delegates think we should.
>
> So another delegate (the secretary) should make the decision instead?

The secretary isn't a delegate.  The secretary has special powers
explicitly listed in the Constitution that are not available to the DPL or
to a delegate and a selection process mandated by the Constitution that
isn't the same as delegation.

> It’s not that your interpretation of the Social Contract is flawed; but
> it is only your interpretation. The secretary is not a superhuman –
> unless he is leading a double life chasing evil aliens at night, but
> that would be irrelevant to Debian – and as such it would be
> inappropriate to consider only his interpretation as valid.

However, the Constitution does that, so far as I can tell.

A 3:1 majority can, of course, change the Constitution, which would
effectively overturn the decision of the secretary.  Alternately, you
could try to convince the secretary that the project membership has
reached an opposite consensus under 7.3.