Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 01:07:06AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 25 2008, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> There's also the argument that the sooner we release Lenny with the
>> improvements that *have* been made, the sooner the people using stable
>> will be able to move away from whatever non-free stuff they've been
>> stuck with in Etch.
>
>        I think this is logically weak. Lenny will be stable for a long
> time; if we can assess the new patches in, say, 4-8 weeks, we have
> people runing stable with non-free stuff in them that they have had for
> years, but allow them to have a free kernel for the next tweo years ro
> so.
>
>        I think that continuing to use non-free stuff for 3 months -- vs
> using non-free stuff for wo more years -- and we are unlikely to
> release for at least another month, or more, given the trending of the
> RC bugs, and adding in the fact that we'll be delivering on the promise
> made in the SC to best of our ability, I think waiting makes a whole
> lot of sense.

Agreed, if we can make a dent in the non-free stuff in a reasonably
short period. Then it'll work fine. If we delay too long, then we'll
leave many of our users in their (current) worse situation and (even
worse) we'll be more likely to be push many of them towards installing
other (even less free) systems instead.

< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"