Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

also sprach Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [2008.10.21.1747 +0200]:
> Though, when this software is central to all Debian (as the kernel is,
> or the glibc for the sunrpc issue, or mesa for the GLX code, or ...),
> then as it's a long and slow work to either prune the firmware, or deal
> with the copyright holders to relicense (and mesa has made it, proof
> that it's possible, but it needed like 2 or 3 releases of Debian to do
> so !), the Release team acknowledge that progress has been made, and
> tags the bugs $suite-ignore.

It's all a matter of defining what your priorities are, which brings
us back to the Social Contract, which says that these include:

  - 100% freeness
  - cater best to the interests of our users

Note that it does not say: release regularly, or on time. This may
well be interpreted to be part of the second of the aforementioned
priorities, but it's not explicitly so.

Are we the Free operating system, or do we only call ourselves that,
while looking up into the sky and whistling innocently?

We've released sarge bundled with an excuse. We've agreed

  that these amendments, which have already been ratified by the
  Debian Project, will be reinstated immediately after the release
  of the next stable version of Debian, without further cause for
  deliberation.
                         -- http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004

We've released etch without an excuse for failing to comply to our
own rules.

Are we just going to continue down this road? If yes, then someone
should propose a GR to revert the changes GR_2004_003 rather than
pretending that everything is hunky dory.

"education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time
 to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
                                                        -- oscar wilde