Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2008: Marc Brockschmidt

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:22:19PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> wrote: [...]
> > I have contacted a few people about helping out with the tasks above
> > (and some I plan to contact) but I can't hand out a definite list of
> > people who are willing to help me at this time. [...]
>
> Campaigning on debian-vote *and* canvassing for help?  Is this really
> what aj meant by "summarise their plans for their term"?

No, this is just answering a question.  Do you suggest that he should
have delayed the answer until campaining would be allowed?

> If the project is minded to allow such discussion during nominations,
> we should shorten the discussion-only period, instead of claiming
> there's some convention that campaigning is limited to the campaign
> period.

I don't really remember the exact periods, and what is supposed to
happen when.  (And I don't care enough to look it up.)  What is the
reason we would want a campainless period during nominations?  I don't
really see any benefit.  Especially because, as this shows, it is hard
to not do campaining when answering questions (which may be raised by a
nomination).

> Any convention died years ago and candidates who campaign before and
> after the specified time seem no longer punished for it.

I see some benefit in not campaining during the voting period.  But I
don't see why anyone should be blocked from campaining before any
period.

> That would also reward early nominations and may help avoid candidates
> like Marc Brockschmidt putting the time into standing from fear of
> being left with only one unacceptable late nomination.

I don't see how that would result from not campaining during the
nomination period (or before it, for that matter).

On the contrary; early nominations risk being punished because they
talked about the DPL position in a way which some people might see as
campaining.  It would therefore lead to punished early nominations and
more fear of no good candidates (due to late nominations).

> Propose it and I'll second.

I'm not sure what you want to see proposed, but I think I don't want to
do it. ;-)  Anyway, why don't you make the proposal yourself?

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html