Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2007: Draft ballot

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:02:22 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

>> > It eases the parsing of occasional corner cases with some voters,
>> > yes, but if forces *all* voters to read something that is
>> > inherently confusing.
>>
>> [ ] Choice 1: Foooo [ ] Choice 2: Baar
>>
>> Is inherently confusing? To whom?  Are you personally confused? or
>> are you speculating?

> That is inherently confusing because you also have to use the
> numbers 1 and 2 for the rankings. Using the same set of options for
> two different things, where you could use two distinct sets of
> options for each different thing, is what is inherently confusing.

        Actually, I used numbers for lots more things. I used numbers
 to count money to pay for my coffee this morning. One dollar, Two
 dollars.  I, however, failed to get confused with the rankings for my
 vote with the money I counted out.

>> Do we really want opinions from someone who is confused by Choice
>> N:? :)

> I knew this was going to come up :) Obviously all of us can
> understand the distinction between using numbers as rankings, and
> using numbers as designations, once it is explained. Point is, we
> shouldn't have to be explaining it when it can be done another, more
> straightforward way.

        I find it pretty straigtforward to realize that numbers are
 used in a myriad of different ways for a myriad of different things,
 so I guess I am still not following. (I used numbers to stay withing
 the speed limit posted on the highway, while using numbers to make
 sure I made my appointment on time.

        If people are finding Choice N prefixes unsurmountable
 barriers to voting, we do have a serious problem.  I don't think the
 solution is to dumb down devotee.

        manoj
--
We should start referring to processes which run in the background by
their correct technical name... paenguins. -- Kevin M. Bealer,