Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2007: Draft ballot

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:43:31 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>
said:

> We strayed from the real point here... the point is that these
> internal variables are completely irrelevant to the voters and
> should be avoided. The program can detect the line "[ ... ] Option
> name" just as easily as it can detect "[ ... ] specialstring: Option
> name".

        This by itself is not justification enough. The fact that the
 ballot provides redundant information that is irrelevant to the
 users, but in turn eases parsing of potentially MTA mangled ballots
 seems like a win.  Given that ballots can be word wrapped, can have
 common leading text, might have words that are damaged by MUA's not
 encoding a non-ascii word identically; it makes sense to increase the
 robustness of the parser by giving it a well known, unique prefix.

        Also, the current implementation optimizes for potential
 re-sorted ballot lines by using the Choice N string to determine
 which index in the options array the ranking is referring to; and I
 do not see enough of a reason to refactor the code.

        So, if some one can demonstrate to me that the parser will not
 become less robust, and that  the new code is equally resilient to
 MUA mangling of ballots, and that the increased complexity of code
 does not impact future maintenance, and that all this effort has a
 tangible benefit --- I'll consider reevaluating this design decision.

        manoj
--
O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.