Re: Summary for the upload package rules GR

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:43:21 +0100, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> said:

> Background: for as long as a I am DD, developers were allowed to
> perform binary-only upload. The FTP masters have removed this right
> for ARM in December and alpha in January. I consider uploading
> packages to be a basic developper priviledge and I don't think the
> FTP masters have authority to remove it without the project
> approval.  The GR address that. (if the GR does not pass, I will
> assume that the FTP masters have the project approval.)

> The GR says that developer are _allowed_ to do binary-only upload,

        Sorry, that is not what the GR actually says. The full tect of
 the GR, for reference is:
   The Debian project resolves that Debian developers allowed to
   perform combined source and binary packages uploads should be
   allowed to perform binary-only packages uploads for the same set of
   architectures.

        So, it says the lists of architectures for which a developer
 can do a sourceful upload has to be the same as the  list of
 architectures the developer can do a binary only upload.

        If there is a discrepancy in the two lists, it can be resolved
 two ways:
   a) Allow the developer to do bin uploads on the architectures that
      they can not,
   b) Remove their privilege to do a sourceful  upload on the
      architectures they can not do bin uploads for.

        In one case the develoeprs privileges are extended, an the
 other case the developers privileges are reduced; the GR gives no
 direction which action the ftpmasters must take.

        manoj
--
Live fast, die young, and leave a flat patch of fur on the highway!
The Squirrels' Motto (The "Hell's Angels of Nature")