Re: Question for all candidates: Importance of unofficial archives

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 12:50:22PM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
>Hi,

hi Martin,

>this question is for all candidates:
>
>How important are unofficial archives[1] for you? What whould you do to
>support them, if you consider them important? What could be done to
>integrate them into official Debian structure?

That depends very much on the archive in question. Some of them are
very widely used and fit well with what we're doing
(e.g. backports.org, debian-volatile), while others have potential
legal problems that mean we can't really support them at all with our
existing setup (e.g. debian-multimedia).

For those external archives that we *can* help with, maybe the easiest
thing to do is simply give our blessing. Many of them are already
mirrored around the world. Some of them could stand being integrated
into the Debian archive structure too, I suppose. I must admit that I
haven't really given this much thought until now.

What would you like to do?

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.