Summary for the upload package rules GR

Dear Debian voters,

I was asked to provide a summary of the current GR.  Please keep in mind
that the discussion period is over and that I am the proposer.

Background: for as long as a I am DD, developers were allowed to
perform binary-only upload. The FTP masters have removed this right for
ARM in December and alpha in January. I consider uploading packages to
be a basic developper priviledge and I don't think the FTP masters
have authority to remove it without the project approval.
The GR address that. (if the GR does not pass, I will assume that the FTP
masters have the project approval.)

Questions raised in the discussion period that are relevant to the GR.

Q) This GR is restraining the action of the FTP masters.

A) It does, but very minimaly:

  1) The FTP masters can still reject broken binary packages, as long as
  the reason is not merely the identity of the uploader.

  2) The FTP masters can still bar a rogue DD/buildd from uploading binary
  packages by blocking both sourceful and sourceless upload.

Q) This GR force the Debian Archive kit to accept packages that are
broken/without matching source etc.

A) It does not. The fact that a developer is allowed to upload a package
does not mean the package will be accepted, only that it will not be
rejected merely due to the identity of the uploader.

Q) The FTP masters will simply remove sourceful upload right on ARM and alpha!

A) I don't want to speculate on the FTP masters actions in this way.
People concerned about that should have proposed an amendment.

Q) We should only allow source-only upload!

A) This is orthogonal to this GR. If developers are not allowed to do
combined source and binary packages uploads, this GR is moot.

To conclude:

The GR says that developer are _allowed_ to do binary-only upload, it
does not says when they are appropriate and what policy should apply to
them. Theses are technical matters outside the scope of the GR. (The
same apply to sourceful upload obviously).

References for the technical aspect that motivate this GR:

The post from James Troup "update on binary upload restrictions"
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/01/msg00760.html>).

My answer:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/02/msg00241.html>

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>